Sunday, June 04, 2006

MadameBastet-firing-neurons

MadameBastet-firing-neurons
Earlier this evening, while ignoring the Evil Math Books
on the table, I was lying on the couch, channel-surfing.
I caught the last half-hour of the final Star Wars trilogy.

Which trilogy you ask? Oh hell, the most recent trilogy.
I purposely never saw any of those films; George Lucas
really frosted my cake with these 'prequels' and I had NO
interest in seeing what led up to one of the great films of
my youth, Star Wars. I preferred to pretend there were
no prequels, ha. But out of sheer boredom and a sudden need
to see how Darth Vader became Darth Vader - or shall I say,
how Anakin became Darth, I watched. I really only got to see him
have that neat CGI laser battle with Obi-Wan. Good casting there!
And then, and then...ewwwwwwwwww...so that's what happened to him!
He kind of caught on fire and was incinerated and his face kind of...
melted off.

However, I am now confused. Was he a machine? It looked like
his limbs, what was left of them, were robot-like or something.
Oh crap, that'll teach ME to come in on the last half hour of a movie
trilogy! Anyway, poor Padme, or whatever her name is. Pops out the twins,
Luke and Leia and then she's off, with funeral flowers in her hair.

And Luke goes to live with his aunt and uncle and
we end with those two glorious suns in the distance...
the same suns Luke looks at when he grows up and becomes
the hottie that all 10 year olds will swoon over.

Seriously. Someone answer my question. What was up
with Anakin? Did he have a metallic body? He was like this
pile o' goo, and then they gave him the DARTH VADER outfit
and voila!

I can't believe Jimmy Smits was in this movie. That was just wrong. In
so many ways.

2 comments:

Thomas Irvin said...

In Episode II, Anakin gets his hand cut off by Count Dooku, a former Jedi turned Sith Lord. So he gets a new hand by the end of that movie.

I think Lucas was trying really hard to create parallels 'tween Anakin and Luke.

Centuryhouse said...

Haha, here's the funny truth - I just bought the DVD and Paula and I watched it a few nights ago, same as you apparently!

Anakin had already lost his hand and had it replaced. In the duel with Kenobi (Ewin McGregor) Anakin had both legs amputated. As if that wasn't bad enough he caught fire in the lava, etc. His lungs etc were also ruined by the heat.

So good old Emperor Palpatine / Sith Lord shows up and rescues him. He was given mechanical replacement legs and an armoured life support suit. He can't breathe or live for more than a minute or so outside of the life support suit.

If you saw Return Of The Jedi (1983) where Luke carries Vader off after the lightsaber duel, you may remember Vader telling Luke to remove his helmet. Luke says "but you'll die!", and Vader says to do it anyway. After a minute he dies - due to losing his life support system which had been mostly fried out anyway when the Emperor shot lightning bolts at him in the fight ;-)

THAT'S the scoop!