Friday, June 09, 2006

MadameBastet-firing-neurons

Yes, Thank God It's Friday

Well, "Water Day" went over with a splash
All the kids were so adorable in their little bathing suits.
Natalie, so cute...she asked if she could change in the storeroom
since someone was using the bathroom
and I took her in there but all she did was take off her little dress
and her bathing suit was already on.

I don't think she realized she didn't need privacy to do that.
There were Sponge Bob Square Pants towels all over the place
and Barbie and Hello Kitty towels
And I put sunblock on little faces even though...

The weather did NOT cooperate. It was grey and dull
and gloomy and cool - but the kids didn't care!
They ran through ice cold sprinklers and blew giant bubbles
and we had an awesome squirt bottle fight (no water guns or weapons of any kind allowed)
I got drenched! It was three against one!
They soaked Ms. D good
and I didn't have a towel!

Blake forgot his towel so I gave him mine
And my shorts were dripping.
So it was muggy and hot and cold and I was sweaty
and sticky and tired but happy in the end.

The played with wild abandon as their
kindergarten year comes to a close;
and mine as well. Oh what fun we've all had
together!

Just one week left...they 'graduate' on Wednesday
I've got to write out their cards this weekend
It's hard for me to think I'll probably never see these ducklings again
Yes, there will be many more,
but these were my first and you never forget your first class.

This was the best kindergarten I ever had!
We had Pajama Day
and Valentine's Day
and St. Patrick's/Leprechaun's Day
and Dress- Up Day
and Bubbles Day
and Water Day
and Birthdays
and Pizza Day
the Mother's Day Tea
the Father's Day Picnic
and dogs and cat and snakes and fish and even a chicken came to visit us
not to mention an entire mobile marine lab!
There was Ocean Day
and on Wednesday, the chicklets bought their first hot lunch
from the cafeteria.

It was soooooooooooooo cute.
They had milk, or chocolate milk, a peach, little chicken tenders, tator tots
and s'mores. 33 years later - the lunches are basically the same. They've thrown a piece of fruit in there for good health.
They ate with the 'big' kids - what a thrill!
I was helping them open their ketchup packets when I saw a little girl
eating alone and my heart skipped about 100 beats...
I was crushed immediately!
Funny, because luckily, I was never the kid who had to eat alone.
I always had friends to play and eat with.
Kathleen saw my face fall and assured me the little girl would be fine; she was social -
and sure enough she got up and just sat her little 6 year old self down at a table with other kids
That's confidence!
But I worry about the ones who don't have that confidence and to see a small
child eat alone in the middle of a huge playground with other kids eating together
is a heart-breaking scene indeed. There's just something so sad about it.

That same day I took the kids to Mrs. Johnson's 1st grade classroom
and Mrs. Johnson talked to them about first grade and what to expect
and told them not to be afraid.
They were going to have their own desks!
And a class pet! (A smelly gerbil or something)
I felt like saying, "And from here on out kids, it's pretty much work, work, work...."
But alas, they'll find out as they go along
and never even remember how good they had it at 5.

No comments: