Saturday, May 13, 2006

MadameBastet-firing-neurons

MadameBastet-firing-neurons
Yesterday was Career Day
Or really "Dress- up Day"
Dress up like what you want to be
when you grow up
Sydney breezes by me "I'm a movie star!"
I will have to get your autograph I say
Dress-up day!
No one told me; I didn't get the memo
Dress up like what you want to be when you grow up
I would've come as a child again.

Another round of Super Star letters.
Dominique says "I have a stuffy nose."
I said, "I do too sweetie."
A moment later, she comes over and hands me
a Kleenex.
I am
truly
touched.
The simplest, tiniest act of giving from a sweet 5 year old
and it is like the sun shining after 1000 days of rain.

Natalie and Maia's ongoing feud erupts into new battles.
Each comes to me, each on a different side.
Maia: Natalie is always copying me!!
Natalie: Maia she is so mean to me! She made me cry three times yesterday!
Oh I have been down this dangerous road before;
it is a mine-field.
To Maia I say: "When Natalie copies you, do you know that means she likes you! She wants to be like you!"
To Natalie, who is much more fragile, sensitive, I draw her in, and she runs for
a hug.
"Natalie, Maia doesn't mean to make you cry. You girls can be friends right?"
Two little heads bobbing up and down.
Two minutes later at lunch, I'm certain the feud has begun anew.

Later, after lunch, more word bombs are launched across the table.
We are drawing beach scenes.
Jamie to Tanner, "Why are you wearing long pants and a long-sleeved shirt at the beach?"
Tanner's face falls. He snarls, "I'm not! You're just - just trying to be mean."
They start to gang up on Tanner. The words start to fly.
I can see the explosion coming. The tears start to form.
I stave it off. Tanner fumes, "It's a wetsuit."
"That's right! It's a green and black wetsuit!" I affirm this.
Now they've moved on to Griffin.
He's about to crumple his paper; he's been destroying his work a lot lately.
He doesn't like it. I feel the impending implosion.
"Griffin! No! Please, if you don't want it, can I have it? Can I take it home and put it on my fridge? I love it. It's fantastic. Really, I want it."
And suddenly, it has worth.
Tanner does not cry.
Griffin doesn't throw his work out.
I feel like
I've saved the free world.

And if you want to know why we go to war with one another
go to a school and spend a day or two
with a class of 5 year-olds
and human nature
and there is
your
answer.

3 comments:

Centuryhouse said...

Beautiful bit of writing, very profound. You've done a great job. I still remember the little bits of care I received from teachers here and there growing up, and it meant a lot. Keep up the good work!

Daniel W.

Centuryhouse said...

Second comment, a day later.

From reading your comment on Sandy's blog I just realized who you are. We met at the San Juan Capistrano Church show in 2002. Good times!

Daniel W.

Thomas Irvin said...

You have the most important job in the world.

I have no doubt you do it well.