Sunday, May 07, 2006

MadameBastet-firing-neurons

MadameBastet-firing-neurons
Zoe sits atop her pillow
in her usual queenly pose
her furry head cocked to one side
as if to say
"Oh what a day it has been indeed!"

Today is Sunday
and the sun came out for the first time
in so so long
I can't even remember the last time I saw it
Which is good
because I was beginning to think
I might have to put my head
in the oven
and then I remembered
shit!
I have an electric oven
and a very, very small kitchen.

It was warm and sunny and I ate Swedish pancakes
for brunch
and wept for a man I did not know.
His name is Grant McLennan and all I ever knew was his music
and it is so heartbreakingly beautiful
it almost seems an insult to try and describe it.

He died in his sleep yesterday and of course I thought "Why?"
Because one doesn't normally die in one's sleep at 48.
And then I thought why does it matter why?
Why do I need to know why?
He is gone, gone, gone
Forever gone!
And all the answers in the bloody universe won't bring him back again.
I, of all people, should know that game by now.

Zoe ate baby food for dinner.
42 people died in Iraq today.
I could not buy any cough syrup at the market
because the market does not sell it anymore.
Why? Because the fucking meth addicts kept coming in
and buying it to cook it up in their labs.
They don't keep it behind the counter -
they just don't even order it anymore.
So I coughed and bitched and cursed those
with trashier demons than mine.

So I'll cough I'll cry I'll survive
and go watch The Sopranos.
I'll miss a man I never knew
while Christupha shoots the works
beneath a full moon.

Man do I hate Christupha.
What a mook.

No comments: