Sunday, February 08, 2009

Lazarus Dreams

There will come a time when you will find
yourself alone
in a faded room of despair
the stale aroma of some unresolved grief
heavy in the air

And you will be playing mental solitaire
and smoking cigarettes
trying desperately to remember
how simply to forget
crazy things like the strange feel of December
in the dead center of July
the long, deep, bitter want
and someone that you loved once
a long, long time ago.

There will come a time
when you will find yourself long since past the age
when it is acceptable to rage
against the dying of the light
and you will blow out candles in the night
and wonder when you lost the fight

And you will learn
You will learn to carry your grief with elegant grace
You will learn
that in this world integrity finds no easy place
You will learn
to master the fine art of goodbye
You will learn
that often silence is your best defense
and that sadness does not guarantee
any more tears left to cry

There will come a time
when you will stop searching for some great cosmic sign
and you will let go of the concept of fair
And you will live in a house of mirrors
to prove once and for all
that you're really there.

There will come a time
when you will spend your nights dealing kings and queens
playing Jesus Christ to the demons dancing in your head
and raising Lazarus dreams
from the dead.



Note: I can't recall if I ever posted this. Apologies if I did; I just came across it last night and thought how ironic! It is 17 years old; I was 25 years old when I wrote it. What stuns me is that at that point, my father and grandmothers were all alive, I hadn't gotten sick yet and yet I could have written it yesterday and it would've been more appropriate to my life now I suppose. Anyway...yes, I was occasionally smoking back then. Yikes. And I was depressed - I just didn't know it. I wrote bad poetry to deal with it. LOL! And in the end, this is about life, but also, so much about a great unrequited love I had. I still think of that person fondly to this day.

4 comments:

General Catz said...

That was very moving, very well written. But didn't Sting write a song with that title?

Queen Hatshepsut said...

I don't know; he may have...I don't listen to Sting. But I wrote this in 1992 dammit! Did he write his earlier???? See, I don't know if people purposely plagiarize...they can just have the same ideas. BTW to my conscious knowledge I have never heard the Sting song if he wrote one with this title. What a copycat he is. LOL

Freddie said...

Wow!
The Sting song was the Lazarus Heart.
This is some nice poetry; a little walk on the dark side
but we all feel this way sometimes :-)

Freddie said...

btw, I’d like to extend an invitation to you
to visit http://www.voy.com/1001/
(Artistry in Poetry)
I’d be honored to have you come by.
The moderator is a nice lady in Alaska named Joyce
She has extensive knowledge
and is very encouraging.
I also am making it a point to get in there a little more often too.
Hope to see you there.
Writing is good for the spirit.