Thursday, February 12, 2009

13 Years

Today is the 13th 'anniversary' of my dad's death. Wow, 13 years. In a way it seems like a million years ago. I've had a really good day thus far. Pretty happy. Time doesn't heal all wounds, but working your ass off in therapy and reading and praying and writing and having mini-breakdowns, haha...well, doing the grief work helps. And time does help. It doesn't make it all better. Tomorrow I might cry my eyes out. Who knows. I'm just so involved with myself right now - that doesn't sound good - but you guys know what I mean - that my dad seems kind of far away. In a way that makes me a little sad, and I feel a little guilty.

But it is what it is.

In the infamous words of the great poet Robert Frost:

"If I have learned one thing about life, it is this: it goes on."

Indeed.

3 comments:

General Catz said...

No need to feel guilty. Your dad is with you, in your heart, always. You don't have to keep grieving to prove you love him. I learned this about my brother awhile ago. I still talk to him sometimes but no longer feel bad if i don't think about him. He'd kick my ass if i did.

Lots of love.

veleska1970 said...

wow~~13 years is a long time. my dad's been gone for almost 7 years, and sometimes it feels like yesterday and other times it feels like a hundred years ago. not with my mom, though~~her death is still too "fresh". but i'm with s~~don't feel guilty. you have to live your life.

grief is a very difficult thing to get over. and i'm not sure you actually ever "get over it".

love yas.

eek said...

{{{{Hug}}}}

We get to go through a lot of similar emotions at this time of year -- my dad died 15 years ago on the 11th. Time does help.