Monday, June 12, 2006

The Man on The Moon Knew How Soon It Would All End

Tonight I met Anderson Cooper, he of Anderson Cooper 360 fame on CNN, and now he has written a book called Dispatches from the Edge. Although I've been watching him for over a decade, and adore his intelligent, witty, emotional reporting, I didn't feel like going to his book signing. But my best friend Jill talked me into it. We waited about an hour and half outside Book Soup on Sunset Boulevard, where a strange old woman stood in line behind me, talking my ear off. Then she suddenly stopped, pulled out a red rosary and started praying. She was definitely a different type of Cooper fan than I expected.

Finally we were allowed into the back room of the bookstore, where one of the employees was mixing her drink with a bottle of Jack Daniels hidden on the floor. In fact there was a lot of booze on the floor. I felt like walking up and asking her for a Cosmo. Drinking on the job; wow, is it that bad? Or were they planning a party afterwards?

I have, in my 39 years living in Los Angeles, and such celebrity 'hot spots' such as Malibu and Brentwood, seen, run into, eaten with, stood in line with, sold books to, passed by, driven by, more famous people than I can count. I've never spoken to any of them.

Tonight though, something really strange and surreal came over me and when it was my turn to have Anderson sign my book, I think I completely took leave of my body. He was so sweet, such a gentleman. He shook my hand, and said "nice to meet you Denise." He was so kind to everyone. He signed my book and I told him "Thank you for being a voice for the voiceless." We stared into each other's eyes; my god his blue eyes are even more beautiful than on TV. He seemed geniunely touched. He said "Thank you so much. That means so much to me." I said, "Your book is beautiful, thank you for writing it." And I was ushered out. I couldn't even stay to see Jill meet him. Security was tight.

The minute I walked outside, I half jokingly said, "I have no memory of that experience" to two men standing there. They laughed. I do not know what came over me. I have never felt that way in the presence of anyone, not even my beloved Church members. Let me tell you, Anderson could teach celebrities a thing or two about being gracious. He was so polite, so modest, so real. I felt as if I could not come back to this world. It was strange. It wasn't so much that I was startruck; I cannot even explain it. Perhaps it was the fact that I was in the presence of someone so real in a city full of so much fakeness.

It was the most other-worldly experience I've ever had. Ha! And he is my age and I am so intimidated? Is that the right word? No. I am grateful. I am moved beyond measure by the fact that he has taken the time to remember those who would be forgotten....in Rwanda...in Bosnia...in Iraq...in Darfur...in New Orleans and Mississippi. It was an honor to meet him and I will never forget how he looked at me when I thanked him for truly being the voice of the voiceless and forgotten. Yes Anderson, you have made a difference and for that, God bless you.

2 comments:

General Catz said...

very cool... rarely does someone like that meet your expectations (one reason i purposely avoided meeeting some people when i lived over there!).

good luck to your friend, i hope everything went well today for her.

daydreamer said...

So many blogs, so little time. Damn, girl, I can't keep up with you! Your flight from Hawaii story gave me an anxiety attack. My God!!! And your cat's nightmare, what a crack-up! I can totally imagine it.

Best wishes for Gina. And good luck on your math test.

See you SOON! :-)

love,
Sandy

Now I've GOT to get that book by AC!