Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Another Goodbye

My best friend Jill's grandmother Helen, died yesterday around 4:50 p.m. Jill was with her. Another February death - I tell you, I'm looking forward to March! She was 87. For logistical reasons regarding the rest of Helen's grandchildren, the funeral is not going to be held until the 21st!

I went to dinner with Jill tonight and we sat in her grandma's house for a while. Jill knows how much I've always loved her grandma's house. She understands my NEED to say goodbye to houses, haha. I'm really proud of how Jill has managed so much; her dad is in Antarctica, and her uncle and cousins are scattered across the country. She does have one cousin in Orange County. She has had to take on SO much - not just her grandma's health, but her dad's property, her dad's bills, her grandma's apartment building, those bills, Jill's own life, work, school, tuition....I think I would've lost it by now. Today she went to the funeral home alone to make the arrangements. I offered to go with her, but she wanted to do it on her own.

I am worried about her. Thank goodness she's taking the whole week off from work. I really loved her grandma, but I'm so glad she is not suffering. And I truly believe she is another world; one we can't or won't ever understand until we get there ourselves.

I'm tired and going to bed now.

4 comments:

General Catz said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. She does sound like she has way too much to deal with alone. WTF? At least she has you.

Sandy said...

I'm sorry for yet another loss in your life, Denise. Your friend Jill sounds like a saint. I'm with Staci, she's lucky to have you. Thank god for our friends.

did you get my email?

Queen Hatshepsut said...

Sandy - thanks for the kind words. I got your email. I am again having major issues with my dinosaur of a computer. I promise to email you back later tonight!!!! It may take an hour but I WILL DO IT!

General Catz said...

Hey, what about MY kind words? What am i, chopped liver?