Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obamarama

Ok, I voted for the man, and it's about 1:15 a.m. on the 20th. YAY! But holy cow, this inauguration has been going on for days! Ha! Finally though, the REAL day is here. FINALLY. Eight looooooooooooooooooooooong, tremendously sad, sad, sad years are coming to an end. Do I think Obama is the Messiah and all will be well on Wednesday? Hell no. If he's able to achieve 1/10th of what he wants to do in the first 2 years of his term, I'll be surprised. He's not God. Politics by its very nature is a tough, mercurial animal. He can't control the markets, the world, or even Congress.

Oh and someone really, really needs to tell him he's NOT Abraham Lincoln. Man, what the hell is THAT about? Seriously, does he believe in reincarnation?

Obama might not want to identify too much with a man who was um, assassinated. I just worry about his security. I think back to the night the Courts GAVE Bush the presidency (no I've got no strong opinions on this) and I CRIED. Everyone thought I was just being 'emotional, hysterical D' - but hey, how much better off is our country, the world - are YOU? than you were 8 years ago?

I will admit, shockingly, I had a moment of pity for Bush. He's the one who's leaving with a 22% approval rating, but come ON - in so many ways, he was a puppet and his strings were just pulled by Cheney and Rumsfeld. Cheney isn't leaving with that approval rating. Rumsfeld got his ass kicked to the curb long ago. They bear huge responsibility for Iraq and the mess we're in.

So anyway, I'll be up in about 5 1/2 hours to watch 'history in the making' - heh. This country is very, very desperate for hope - and I understand that feeling on a very personal level. Hopelessness is the worst feeling a human being can have in my oh so humble opinion.

I'd like Obama to do some 'fireside' chats like FDR. Primarily because I don't have a fireplace and I find them very comforting and soothing, haha.

I heard Obama will be using Lincoln's Inaugural Bible tomorrow for the swearing in ceremony. My God. I half expect the man to show up in a stove pipe hat and a beard.

All I have to say is: Good luck my dear man. To take on the job of the president at any time implies a little insanity I think, but to take it on at this juncture in America's history is just beyond comprehension. So good luck, and Godspeed!


1 comment:

General Catz said...

I will stop work and watch the inauguration, i don't care what they want. But i have a suspicion that there's a tv around and my entire group will be watching.

And you're right, i hope people aren't expecting too much right away. He's got an overwhelming, monumental set of tasks ahead of him. But from what i've read of people's posts all over the world, their faith in america has been somewhat restored and i hope we are no longer the joke that we became under the sleazeball.