Sunday, April 27, 2008

41

Not much to say today. It's my 41st birthday. Not having any blowout bash like last year. At peace with turning 41 - ha what choice do I have? Celebrating the fact that as difficult as the last year has been - and God, it's been hard (losing a best friend, sliding into a despair last summer that almost brought me to the brink of feeling totally insane and then...getting what I thought was a dream job - and well, you know the rest)...I am still here

I am still alive
I am still relatively healthy
I still have my wonderful mum
I have a gorgeous new niece
I have two spoiled but loving, life-saving cats who brighten my every day and night
I have about 12 students who bring me joy on a daily basis and who I shall miss dearly come June
I have my integrity
I have kept my dignity
I have perservered
I have not quit
I have tried my best to take the high road at all times
I have money
I have a place to live
I have enough food to eat
I do have some beautiful people
who enrich my soul and keep me going
A shout out to those kind beings -
Veleska, S, Thomas, Cheri, Brittany
I have someone I can talk to professionally about my job
I have the ability to get a fabulous massage every now and again
I have a brother who does make an effort to care
I have a cousin who's fought cancer and sends me a birthday card so rich with kindess and sentiment I am brought to tears
I have books to read, the eyes to read them with
I have the meds I need to keep my chronic pain at bay so I can work and function
I have a fabulous hairdresser who charges me next to nothing to make me a beautiful blonde goddess - Ok, so maybe not a goddess, but keeps me in highlights and out of the dreary gray mess my head would normally be in
I do have some parents who've been nothing but supportive of me at work
I have the knowledge that I'm human, I've made mistakes, but I've done nothing but try my very best for 31 young beings that depend on me 7 hours a day, five days a week
I have the luxury to spend time seeking spiritual enlightenment and fulfillment and not have to spend every waking moment simply tryng to survive


I have an uncertain future, I have doubts and fears and insane feelings of being out of control but I have the means to deal with all of these

Another year has passed. I am still here. I have the present moment and nothing else. For this I am grateful.
Thanks to all who write me, support me, encourage me, call me, put up with my flakey-ness, my falling off the face of the earth...

You are the best gift a gal could ask for.

Thank you.

4 comments:

veleska1970 said...

you are so very welcome, denise. i'm glad you were able to pull yourself up out of the doldrums today so that you can see just how much you DO have to be thankful for. it's a lot. :)

i know i've worn this out, but i will say it again: i admire you more than you know and i applaud you. happy birthday, sweetie. i'm raising my champagne glass to you.

much love.

Thomas Irvin said...

Yeah, well...CALL ME SOMETIME, DAMNIT!

Love, Thomas

General Catz said...

Happy birthday. I know i missed it. This kitten has seriously interfered with my computer time, phone time, work time, eating time, concentration time, you name it.

I'm so sorry i missed it. But i'm glad to see you're doing "the list". It does give one heart, eh?

Lots of love.

ScaughtFive said...

Happy 41. I was just walking around and wandered in here. 41 is good. Especially if the few in front of it were rough. Happy 41.